When you think about therapy, you are very likely thinking about outpatient services. Whether your child is struggling with emotional, social, developmental or behavioral issues, our outpatient department is here to help you. At Child Guidance, we have over 55 years of experience teaching children and families ways to eliminate negative behaviors and encourage positive change.
What are Outpatient Services?
Outpatient Services are an array of office-based services that address your child, adolescent, or teen’s depression, anxiety, stress, anger, self-esteem, ADHD, bereavement and other emotional, social and behavioral difficulties. Following a comprehensive assessment and consultation, we identify your child’s needs and make recommendations for treatment. We may recommend one or more of the following: individual therapy, family therapy, group therapy, drug and alcohol therapy or medication management. We also offer specialty tracks for anxiety, ADHD, grief, and loss.
Who is Eligible for Outpatient Services?
Children and adolescents from two to 21 years old who are experiencing behavioral health challenges.
Who may be on your Outpatient Team?
- Licensed child and adolescent psychiatrists experienced and trained in working with children, adolescents and families are available to work with you regarding diagnosis, treatment planning and medication management.
- Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner
- Licensed certified nurse practitioners experienced and trained in working with children, adolescents and families are available to work with you regarding diagnosis, treatment planning and medication management.
- Licensed , school certified psychologists experienced and trained in working with children, adolescents and families are available for diagnostic evaluation, individual/family/group therapy, and treatment planning. Testing may also be available on occasion.
- Mental health clinicians experienced in working with children, adolescents and families work collaboratively with youth and families to provide the most effective treatment. Treatment may consist of individual, group and/or family therapy.
How Do I Get Started?
Outpatient services begin with a 2-hour intake assessment at our office. In Havertown and Coatesville, we offer walk-in hours for same-day service, no appointment necessary. You will need to bring certain documentation with you at the time of your assessment. See below for more information.
- Havertown Office – Open Access hours Monday through Friday, from 9am-2pm. Simply give us a call or walk in to begin the assessment and evaluation process. You & your child should bring: child’s social security number, insurance information, and adoption/foster decree (if applicable). For more information, please call: 484-454-8720
- Coatesville Office – Open Access is available Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 9am-2pm; Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure to bring the following documents along with your child: Insurance card, birth certificate, Social Security Number, verification of Home income, custody agreement (if applicable). For more information, please call: 610-383-5635
- Philadelphia Autism Center of Excellence – Our office offers intake, evaluation, and outpatient services to kids and teens with or without autism. Call 267-713-4100 for important information on how to begin.
- CHOP Karabots Center – For children in the CHOP network, we offer outpatient evaluation and services. Please call 215-590-0413 for more information.
Current Outpatient Programs and Groups
Healthy Relationships & Sexuality Group – Child Guidance Autism Center of Excellence
Parent-Child Interaction Therapy – Delaware County, Chester County, Autism Center of Excellence, CHOP Karabots Center
Pivotal Response Treatment – Delaware County, Chester County, Autism Center of Excellence
Spring Groups – Philadelphia Autism Center of Excellence
Teen Care Drug and Alcohol Program – Delaware County
Teen Care is a specialized outpatient program focusing on education, treatment, and recovery from substance abuse. Counseling includes individual, family and group therapy, and focuses on teaching relapse-prevention techniques. We support both the teen and the family throughout treatment. For more information on how to get started, call 484-454-8720.
Social Skills ages 3-17 – Delaware County
These groups are designed to promote age-appropriate social skills and development. Younger kids will work with their parents/caregivers and a therapist while learning how to make friends, self-regulation, and problem solving. Older groups will work on socialization, interaction with peers and authority figures, and building self-esteem. For more information on how to get started, call 484-454-8720.
Middle School Girls – Delaware County
This group is designed to give Middle School girls a a safe, comfortable, non-judgmental space where they can openly discuss their personal and interpersonal issues. The group structure consists of a combination of psycho education and open format discussion where members are encouraged to give and receive feedback. For more information on how to get started, call 484-454-8720.
High School Boys – Delaware County
Group participants explore common personal, interpersonal, and social issues felt among High School boys. Clinician-led discussion allows participants to realize that others experience similar problems and encourages them to understand how their actions affect others. For more information on how to get started, call 484-454-8720.
High School Girls – Delaware County
Similar to our High School Boys group session, girls are given a safe, comfortable space to explore their troubles and feelings. Open forum discussion encourages participants to give and receive feedback. Common topics include interacting with peers & authority figures, friendships, sex, drugs & alcohol, coping skills, and symptoms of depression and anxiety. For more information on how to get started, call 484-454-8720.
Child Guidance Outpatient Services accepts PA Medical Assistance (If you child is diagnosed with a mental health disability, you may qualify for Medical Assistance regardless of family income) and most commercial insurances.
If you do not have Medical Assistance, you can enroll by contacting COMPASS at
877-395-8930 or start the application on line at the Compass website.